Glass Options for a Frameless Shower
At Bear Glass, we feel that a frameless shower can be the building block or the finishing “wow” for your bath decor. It can be a work of art or a frame for a beautifully tiled wall. Having knowledge of the wide range of glass options available plays an important role in bringing all design elements together, whether you are updating or completely remodeling a bath. No matter what glass option, building codes will require that the glass be tempered for safety.
- Clear (tinged with green) 3/8-inch glass is one basic consideration. However, it’s not a good fit for many decors. For a look that doesn’t conflict with your color palette, consider low-iron glass. It’s “water clear” to blend with any color palette. If you are concerned about upkeep with a clear or low-iron glass, look into Shower Guard glass from Guardian Industries. It permanently repels water spots and hard-water stains—no more squeegee after every shower.
- There are so many different vessel sinks available. If your have a sandblasted, bronze or smoke glass vessel selected for your bath, you can coordinate 3/8-inch acid-etched, bronze or smoke glass for your shower for a simple, elegant look that provides privacy as well.
- Add interest to your frameless shower with textured glass. This is 3/8-inch cast glass from sources like Pilkington. Master Carre, Stippolyte, Rain, Solar Rain (water clear), Storm, Glue Chip and Machine Antique (water clear) are all available in 3/8-inch thickness. Although you can view these online, you will want to see them in person at a local glass supplier to get a good feel for their pattern, obscurity and light transmission.
- Etched glass brings beautiful patterns to glass. However, it really is not practical for an application exposed to soap, shampoo, conditioners and the oil in your skin. DecoTherm can put a butterfly into the center of your door or a field of flowers up to your neck with a ceramic frit process that emulates etched glass.
- The look of stained glass is not out of reach for a frameless shower, when you look at Stained Glass Overlay. Mylar film in colors and textures, lead, bevels and jewels are applied to 3/8-inch tempered clear glass. The color and design possibilities are virtually endless. At the same time, any design can be modified for your bathroom window.
- Details make a difference. Perhaps you shopped all over for fused glass tiles to accent a vanity area, wall sconces trimmed with little jewels or a hanging chandelier with teardrop bevels. Fused glass tiles, jewels and bevels can all be added to a frameless shower using ultraviolet (UV) tech adhesives and a UV curing light.
- Kiln-formed art glass is yet another beautiful option. A sheet of 3/8-inch clear or low-iron glass is melted over a form to create a rich, embossed pattern. A city skyline, waves, swirls, bubbles and flowers are among hundreds of design possibilities using kiln-formed art glass.